Vis Island is one of the most beautiful islands in Croatia, located in the Adriatic Sea. It’s a small island that’s only 90 square kilometers in size, but it’s packed with a lot of natural beauty and unique attractions. The island has a long history, dating back to ancient times, and it has been inhabited by different civilizations over the centuries. Today, it’s a popular tourist destination, thanks to its stunning beaches, crystal clear waters, and laid-back atmosphere. In this article, we’ll provide you with some essential travel tips and information that will help you plan your trip to Vis Island.
Getting to Vis
The easiest way to reach Vis Island is by taking a ferry from Split or Dubrovnik. The ferry ride from Split takes around two and a half hours, while the ride from Dubrovnik takes around five hours. You can also take a ferry from other cities along the Croatian coast, such as Zadar, Rijeka, or Pula. The ferry schedule changes depending on the season, so it’s essential to check the timetable before your trip.
When to Visit Vis
The best time to visit Vis Island is during the summer months, from June to September. During this time, the weather is warm and sunny, and the sea is perfect for swimming and other water activities. However, keep in mind that Vis Island is a popular tourist destination during this time, and the beaches and other attractions can get crowded. If you prefer a quieter experience, you can visit Vis in May or October when the weather is still pleasant, but there are fewer tourists.
Where to Stay on Vis Island
Vis Island has a range of accommodation options to suit every budget and taste. The island has several small towns and villages, each with its unique charm and atmosphere. Some of the most popular places to stay on Vis Island include:
- Vis Town: The main town on the island, Vis Town, is located on the northern coast. It’s a charming town with narrow streets, colorful houses, and a lively atmosphere. There are many restaurants, cafes, and bars in Vis Town, and it’s a great place to stay if you want to be close to the island’s main attractions.
- Komiza: Located on the western coast of the island, Komiza is a small fishing village with a relaxed vibe. It’s known for its beautiful beaches, crystal clear waters, and delicious seafood. If you’re looking for a peaceful and quiet place to stay, Komiza is an excellent choice.
- Rukavac: Located on the southeastern coast of the island, Rukavac is a small village known for its pristine beaches and clear waters. It’s an excellent place to stay if you want to be close to some of the island’s most beautiful beaches.
Things to Do on Vis
Vis Island has a lot of things to offer to visitors, from relaxing on the beaches to exploring its rich history and culture. Some of the top things to do on Vis include:
- Visit the Blue Cave: The Blue Cave is one of the island’s most popular attractions, located on the nearby island of Bisevo. The cave is known for its stunning blue light, which is created by sunlight reflecting off the sea floor. You can take a tour to the Blue Cave from Vis Island or book a private boat tour.
- Explore the Island’s History: Vis Island has a long and fascinating history, dating back to ancient times. You can explore some of the island’s historical sites, such as the Greek colony of Issa, the Roman theater, and the Tito Cave, where the Yugoslav leader Tito used to hide during World War II.
- Relax on the Beaches: Vis Island is known for its beautiful beaches, with crystal clear waters and stunning scenery.